With the increased number of workplace harassment suits and administrative proceedings, as well as fines, penalties and verdicts, all employers need to be proactive to avoid, identify and minimize workplace harassment and avoid claims or suits being filed. Some steps you can take include:
- Knowing and identifying what actions and statements could constitute harassment.
- Being aware of all potentially protected persons (almost everyone) and troublesome individuals.
- Instructing management to be alert to harassment and how to address or prevent it.
- Implementing and publicizing anti-harassment policies, including anonymous reporting.
- Conducting anti-harassment training, as required by law and as provided by the State of Illinois.
- Implementing procedures and identifying persons to handle harassment complaints in house.
- Having competent counsel and consultants available.
- Buying insurance to defend and indemnify your business in the event of claims or suits.
If we can assist you or if you have any questions, please contact us.