Illinois Lawyer Now Rules & Etiquette
Thank you for being part of the ISBA’s Illinois Lawyer Now. To ensure the best possible experience for all readers, we have established some basic participation rules and guidelines.
By participating in Illinois Lawyer Now, you agree that you have read and will follow these rules and guidelines. The ISBA reserves the right to promote or remove any blog posts at the ISBA’s sole discretion. The ISBA is not required to provide reasons for promoting or removing any blog post.
The following are general best practice rules governing the use of and participation in the ISBA’s Illinois Lawyer Now:
- Respect others; do not challenge or attack individuals in a blog post.
- Use caution when discussing products. Information posted on blogs are available for all to see, and comments are subject to libel, slander, and antitrust laws. Promotion of CLE programs offered by commercial providers or other bar associations, and products or services that you provide or with which you have an affiliation other than customer is prohibited.
- Blog posts offering or soliciting any kind of business relationship (including employment) are prohibited.
- Posts that are, in whole or in part, defamatory, libelous, abusive, profane, threatening, inflammatory, harassing, obscene, offensive, invasive of privacy or publicity rights, or otherwise injurious to third parties are strictly prohibited.
- Posts that would constitute or encourage a criminal offense, create any liability, or violate any local, state, or national law or regulation are prohibited.
- Posts that discuss fees for legal services or any opinion or information that might be construed as price fixing, a boycott, an illegal restriction of free trade, or any other antitrust violation are prohibited. Posts that encourage or facilitate an agreement about the following subjects are prohibited: prices, discounts, terms or conditions of sale, salaries, profits, profit margins, cost data, market shares, sales territories, markets, allocation of customers or territories, or selection, rejection, or termination of customers or suppliers are prohibited.
- Do not post anything that you would not want the world to see or that you would not want anyone to know came from you.
- Respect intellectual property. Post content that you have personally created or have permission to use and have properly attributed to the content creator.
- Users who violate these rules, as may be amended from time to time, are subject to removal from Illinois Lawyer Now at the sole discretion of the ISBA.