Summertime in Illinois brings the risk of severe thunderstorms. The pounding winds and driving rain can leave behind a trail of destruction and can make driving treacherous. While you cannot control how others on the road are driving, you can take precautions to help avoid a car accident. If you are struck by another vehicle in an accident, you should contact a personal injury lawyer who can help you seek compensation for any damages or injuries you sustained.
Five Tips for Safe Storm Driving
Any time that you drive, there is a chance of being involved in an accident, but that risk is increased in inclement weather. Fortunately, there are some ways to reduce such risks.
If you are out on the road during a thunderstorm, here are some tips to keep you safe:
- Be prepared before a storm – There is basic maintenance that you can perform on your car that will help you be better prepared for severe weather. Make sure your tires are properly inflated and the tread is not overly worn in order to keep better traction on wet roads. Having a clean windshield and effective windshield wipers helps you to see the road and other vehicles.
- Turn your lights on – By turning on your headlights during stormy weather, you will be able to see other vehicles better and they will be better able to see you.
- Give other cars extra room – The first few minutes of a storm can be dangerous as oil and other solvents that were on the road surface are added to any standing water making for slick driving conditions. Whenever the roads are wet, allow for extra time to brake. If you brake too quickly, your car may hydroplane. If this occurs, take your foot off the gas and slowly steer your car in the direction you want to turn.
- Go around deep puddles – Water that is too deep could stall your engine or cause your car to be swept off the road. There could even be potholes or debris hidden by the water which could damage your car. You should never try to go through water if you cannot see how deep it is.
- Wait for the storm to pass – If visibility or road conditions become too bad, pull off the road or delay your trip.
Trust a Wheaton Car Crash Attorney
The impact of a car accident can be long-lasting, so it is good to have a trusted DuPage County car accident injury lawyer by your side. At Law Offices of David W. Clark, P.C., we will fight for the compensation that you deserve after a car crash. If you or someone you love has been in a car accident, call us today at 630-665-5678 to schedule a free consultation.