Majority of Nursing Home Residents Spend Their Time Inactive, Increasing Chances for Chronic Diseases and Injuries

Too many individuals who reside in nursing home facilities are spending their days – sitting. A typical daily schedule for residents will only include light to moderate intensity activities 20 percent of the time and they will remain sedentary the other 80 percent, according to a February 16, 2019 study published in the International Journal of Environmental Research and Public Health. An extremely sedentary lifestyle, especially for those who are already battling health issues, only creates a stronger connection to the development or progression of chronic diseases and disabling conditions such as:

  • Anxiety
  • Arthritis (rheumatoid and osteoarthritis)
  • Cancer
  • Chronic obstructive pulmonary disease
  • Congestive heart failure (or heart disease)
  • Dementia or related illness
  • Depression
  • Diabetes types I and II
  • Hypertension
  • Obesity
  • Stroke

Residents with mobility issues are amongst the frailest and will require an already high level of physical dependency possibly due to cognitive impairments, for example caused by dementia or stroke. These residents may be at greater risk of a fall and family members often worry that too much movement will only create bigger problems. Other residents may be fearful of too much activity due to any mismanaged pain they are experiencing or have anxiety about depending on care staff who treat residents like a burden vs. their care responsibility.

Residents Who Do Not Move Are at Greater Risk of Developing Bed Sores 

Immobility is a common risk factor for bed sores as well. Individuals who are unable to move on their own are more likely to be unable to reposition themselves to relieve the pressure on certain parts of their body. This should mean that for bedridden nursing home residents, preventing bed sores should be an expected goal of all responsible care staff.

These simplest measures to prevent a bed sore from beginning on a resident includes:

  1. Proper hydration and nourishment
  2. Areas of the skin to be kept dry and clean at all times
  3. Challenging areas prone to sores will be monitored by staff
  4. Changing the position of a patient at regular intervals
  5. Keeping patients moving by performing a few range-of-motion exercises in bed

Bed sores are most commonly found on the shoulder blades, tailbone, elbows, heels and hips of nursing home patients. Residents who are at high risk of developing bed sores should also receive pressure-relieving devices like specialized mattresses, pillows and cushions.

Chicago Nursing Home Abuse & Neglect Attorneys

If someone you love has suffered because of negligent care at a nursing home that resulted from a sedentary way of life, the nursing home abuse and neglect attorneys of Levin & Perconti want to help. For nearly 30 years, we have dedicated ourselves to taking care of victims of abuse and neglect, as well as their families. With over half a billion dollars recovered for our clients, our established track record proves that we go after the truth and won’t stop until we get it.

Contact Levin & Perconti now for a free consultation: 312-332-2872 in Chicago, toll-free at 1-877-374-1417, or by completing our online case evaluation form.