Wheaton, IL divorce lawyerIllinois law has prescribed a certain process for divorce. This process begins when you file a Petition for Dissolution of Marriage with the Circuit Court Clerk in the county where you live. You must then serve a copy of the petition to your spouse, who will have 30 days to respond.

But what if your spouse is missing? If you do not know your spouse’s whereabouts, it can make the process more complicated. This article will discuss what to do if you cannot locate your spouse. An attorney can best guide you through these steps as well as the divorce process as a whole.

Document Your Efforts

You will want to show a judge that you made every effort to locate your spouse. Make sure to document the steps you take, such as:

  • Serving your spouse the divorce papers at his or her last-known residence