Bloomingdale, IL divorce lawyerLow-income families in Illinois can apply for financial assistance from the state. This help is given through the Temporary Assistance For Needy Families (TANF) program, which is run by the Illinois Department of Human Services. To qualify for financial benefits, you must:

  • Be pregnant or live with a child under 19

  • Live in Illinois

  • Be a United States citizen or meet certain immigration requirements

If you share joint custody with your co-parent, the state will consider only one of you to be “living with the child” for the purpose of receiving benefits. This article will discuss what joint custody is and how the Department of Human Services will decide which parent is living with the child.

If you have any questions about your custody arrangement, speak with a qualified Illinois attorney who has experience in family law.