IL immigration lawyerA child does not need to be born inside the United States or in one of its territories to become a natural-born citizen. If your child has at least one parent who is a United States citizen, there is a good chance that he or she can be granted citizenship at birth or based on one parent’s citizenship status. However, simply having one parent who is a U.S. citizen is not always enough. You will also need to prove that the parent with U.S. citizenship meets certain residency requirements. The requirements also vary depending on whether the child’s mother or father is a citizen and whether the child was born in or out of wedlock. A Lombard, IL immigration lawyer can help you determine whether your foreign-born child qualifies for citizenship.

Children of U.S. Citizen Fathers Born Abroad

If your child’s father is a U.S. citizen and you are not, you will need to prove a few things in order to gain birthright citizenship for your child. If you are present in the United States during your pregnancy, it may be better to remain in the country to give birth, as having your child on U.S. soil may give him or her an additional ground for birthright citizenship.