IL family lawyerIt is somewhat common for parents to get divorced during the “empty nest” phase. Once their children have grown up and moved out, parents may realize that they no longer have anything in common. If you and your spouse have a disabled adult child and you share legal guardianship of him or her, you may not experience a typical “empty nest” phase, but you may still find that you no longer want to be married to each other. Raising a child with significant disabilities can put a strain on your marriage. If your child is going to be dependent on you for the rest of his or her life, you will need to address your disabled adult child’s care during your divorce. A DuPage County, IL divorce and guardianship lawyer can help you plan.

Sharing Guardianship of an Adult Child After Divorce 

While parents of minor children need to create a parenting plan, parents of disabled adults who plan to share guardianship should also develop a plan for caring for their adult child together. The plan you create will likely be similar to a parenting plan for minor children. However, your child may or may not live with either of you if you choose to place him or her in a group home or assisted living facility. When planning for co-guardianship, you should consider: