IL family lawyerIn the state of Illinois, child support payments are calculated based on several factors, with special emphasis placed on the payer’s income. This brings up a logical question. What if your income does not always remain as it was at the time that you got divorced? If you lose your job, can you stop making those payments? If you get a raise, do you need to pay more? Just like with all other aspects of your divorce settlement, the answer to these questions is that it all depends on your specific circumstances. If you were given a raise at work recently, a knowledgeable DuPage County, IL divorce lawyer can review your situation and guide you on how to proceed.

Who Can Request a Modification?

In a child support arrangement, there is a paying parent and a non-paying parent. Any requests for modifications need to come from the non-paying parent. Additionally, these requests need to be submitted to the court rather than directly asking the paying parent to pay more. Unless it is stated clearly in the divorce settlement or child support agreement, the paying parent is not required to inform the non-paying parent that they got a raise. They are also not required to do anything or make any changes to their payments unless a judge grants a modification.