DuPage County family lawyersAre you unhappy with your current parenting time arrangement? Perhaps you feel you are not getting enough time with your children, and something needs to change. On the other hand, maybe something has changed, such as procuring a new and more lucrative job. Now you have the time and money to take your kids to do things you have always wanted to do with them. However, the order for parenting time has you barely getting a weekend with your children. It may be time to consult an attorney to see what can be done to get you more time with your children.

How a Parenting Time Schedule Can Be Modified

The key to all changes is what is in a child’s best interest in terms of parenting time and decision-making. Unfortunately, you are at the mercy of a judge’s decision unless you and your former partner can come to a more suitable agreement. For the latter to take place after an order has already been entered, a two-year waiting period will be required from when the order was entered to filing a petition for modification. The two years can be waived only in extreme circumstances, such as: