Wheaton child support modification lawyerIf you have lost your job in Illinois and are currently paying child support, you may be wondering if you are still required to make those payments. Ultimately, losing your job does not automatically stop or reduce your child support obligations. However, there are steps you can take to modify your child support order with the court. If you are seeking legal assistance with this matter or other issues related to divorce or family law, contact a child support attorney today for assistance with requesting a modification of your child support order.

What You Need to Know About Modifying Child Support Orders

One of the key factors involved in determining child support payments is the income of the paying parent. If you have lost your job, your income has likely changed significantly, and it may be difficult or impossible to continue to make the same payments. In Illinois, you can petition the court to modify your child support order if a significant change has taken place, such as losing your job.

To modify your child support order, you will need to file a petition with the court and provide evidence of your change in circumstances. This may include documentation of your job loss, such as a termination letter or an unemployment benefits statement. You will also need to provide information about your income and assets and any other relevant information that may impact your child support obligations. 

Once you file your petition, a hearing will be scheduled where you and your child’s other parent may present evidence to the court. The court will consider factors such as your current income, the amount of income you should be able to earn based on your level of education and experience, your child’s needs, and any other relevant issues. If the court determines that a modification is necessary, it will issue a new child support order that reflects your current financial situation. 

Please be advised that if you have fallen behind on payments due to a job loss, you will still be responsible for any payments that are past due, even if your order is modified in the future. Interest may apply until the amounts owed are fully paid. Depending on your situation, you may be able to negotiate a payment plan with your child’s other parent or seek other legal remedies if you are struggling to make payments.

Contact a Wheaton Child Support Attorney

If you are looking to modify your child support order, contact the experienced DuPage County child support lawyers at [[title]]. Call [[phone]] for a private consultation. 



Read More