Personal injury cases can be complicated and emotional, and it is important to understand the types of damages that may be available. Damages are the monetary compensation awarded to the plaintiff in a personal injury case for the harm they have suffered. Therefore, if you have suffered a personal injury, it is essential to understand what damages may be relevant to you and your case. Remember, an experienced personal injury attorney can be highly beneficial during this time, as they can explain your legal options while ensuring your rights stay protected.
Types of Damages That May Be Relevant to Your Case
- Economic damages – Economic damages are the monetary losses that result from the injury. Economic damages can include medical expenses, loss of income, and property damage.
- Non-economic damages – Non-economic damages are intangible losses that result from the injury. These damages are meant to compensate the plaintiff for any emotional or psychological harm they have suffered as a result of the injury. Non-economic damages can include pain and suffering, emotional distress, and loss of enjoyment of life.
- Punitive damages – These damages are not meant to compensate the plaintiff for their losses. Instead, they are intended to punish the defendant for their actions and deter them from participating in similar activities in the future. Therefore, punitive damages are only awarded in cases where the accused party’s conduct was incredibly obscene and reckless.
- Loss of consortium – Loss of consortium damages are awarded to compensate the spouse or family members of the injured person for the loss of companionship, affection, and support they have suffered due to the injury.
- Wrongful death damages – Wrongful death damages are awarded to the surviving family members of a person who has died due to the defendant’s actions. These damages can include compensation for medical expenses, funeral expenses, and loss of financial support.
Contact a Joliet Personal Injury Lawyer
Suppose you have been injured as a result of someone else’s actions. In that case, it is essential to consult with an experienced personal injury attorney who can help you understand your legal options and pursue the compensation you may be entitled to. At [[title]], our experienced Will County personal injury attorneys are committed to helping injured clients receive the compensation they may be entitled to. For more information about our firm’s services, call us at [[phone]] for a free consultation.
Source – https://www.forbes.com/advisor/legal/personal-injury/non-economic-damages/