Car accidents are a leading cause of death and injury among young adults. There are many different reasons why young adults tend to be prone to getting into car accidents. Today, we are going to unpack the reasons why this is. Remember, if you have gotten into a car accident, strongly consider hiring an experienced personal injury attorney to ensure you can pursue the compensation you may be entitled to.
Reasons Why Young Adults Get into Car Accidents
Some of the most common reasons young adults get into accidents include the following:
- Distracted driving – Distracted driving is one of the leading causes of car accidents among young adults. Distractions can include texting, talking on the phone, eating or drinking, applying makeup, or adjusting the radio or GPS. It only takes a few seconds of distraction to cause a severe accident.
- Speeding – Speeding is another prevalent cause of car accidents among young people. Young drivers may feel invincible and underestimate the dangers of speeding. Driving too fast can make it difficult to control the vehicle, particularly on curves or in inclement weather.
- Impaired driving – Drinking and driving is a significant problem among young adults. Alcohol can significantly impair judgment, reaction time, and vision, making it impossible to drive in a safe manner. In addition to alcohol, other drugs, like prescription drugs and marijuana, can impair driving ability and increase the risk of an accident.
- Inexperience – Inexperienced drivers are a significant factor in many car accidents involving young adults. New drivers may not possess the skills or experience needed to handle unexpected situations on the road. They may also be unfamiliar with the rules of the road and may struggle to drive in certain weather conditions, like rain or snow.
- Risk-taking behavior – Young people may be more likely to engage in risk-taking behavior while driving, such as driving aggressively, tailgating, or weaving in and out of traffic. They may also be more likely to drive without wearing a seatbelt or to drive with too many people in the car.
Contact a Kane County Car Accident Attorney
It is imperative for young drivers to be aware of these risks while out on the road, as failing to do so can result in devastating consequences. However, if you have been in an accident, do not hesitate to contact the skilled Aurora, IL car accident lawyers with Kinnally Flaherty Krentz Loran Hodge & Masur P.C.. Call 630-907-0909 for a free consultation.
Source – https://www.cdc.gov/transportationsafety/teen_drivers/teendrivers_factsheet.html