Criminal charges related to domestic violence fit under the umbrella of crimes where once someone is charged, the public and community often consider the person guilty of what they are charged with before a fair trial has been conducted and evidence has been presented. As a result, hiring an experienced domestic violence attorney can make a positive difference for the defendant by advocating for them and their rights as they work to acquit themselves of the charges against them.
Domestic violence charges are aggressively prosecuted. The consequences of a conviction can be extremely damaging, both personally and professionally. However, those charged with domestic violence have options at their disposal to allow themselves to be acquitted. Today, we will talk about how someone charged with domestic violence can overcome the serious charges brought against them.
How to Defeat the Charges
When someone is charged with domestic violence, it can seem like the world is crashing down on them and that all hope is lost. However, staying calm and carefully considering your options moving forward is essential. Here are some tips on how you can defeat the charges:
- Hire a qualified attorney – As stated previously, this is enormously important. Besides being your advocate and informing you of your rights, your attorney will advise you on moving forward while developing a robust defense as they represent you in court.
- Gather evidence – Collect evidence that supports your innocence, such as eyewitness accounts, photographs, or other documentation. This information can help build your case and potentially reduce and dismiss the charges.
- Cooperate with law enforcement – It is critical to comply with any court orders or requests from law enforcement to ensure a fair trial.
- Avoid contact with the accuser – Until your case is resolved, it is essential to avoid any contact with the accuser to prevent further incidents or allegations.
- Abide by orders of protection – If an order of protection has been issued, it is essential to comply with its terms. Violating a protective order can result in additional charges and penalties.
It is important to understand that overcoming a domestic violence charge can be a long and challenging process. However, domestic violence charges can be overcome by taking the proper steps and seeking the right guidance.
Contact a Joliet Domestic Violence Defense Attorney
If you have been accused of domestic violence, do not hesitate to contact the skilled Will County domestic violence defense lawyers with [[title]]. Call [[phone]] for a free consultation.