naperville child support lawyerDivorce is already a complicated process, but when there are dependents involved, it further complicates matters. Children are the typical dependents involved in a divorce, and most financial support will end when the child reaches eighteen years of age or graduates from high school. There are other instances, however, in which additional support may be required for a dependent who is no longer a minor. 

Just because your child reaches the age of eighteen does not mean they no longer need support. A divorce disrupts many things, but the parents and the courts can work together to find what will be best for a dependent’s future.

What Instances Would Require Non-Minor Child Support?

The state of Illinois can require support for someone over the age of eighteen in a few specific circumstances. While many factors go into the decision of the court to instate support for a non-minor, the two main reasons are education and the health of the child.

  • Education – Education is important to the courts and they will base their rulings on what will benefit the non-minor the most. If the individual has turned past the age of eighteen but is still in high school, further child support will be issued. Similarly, the court may also issue a ruling for the divorced parents to assist with the child’s college payments. This decision will account for the divorced parent’s financial situation as well as any college assistance the child would have received if the couple had remained married. Support is more likely for the non-minor if it can be proven that they are personally affected financially due to the divorce. 
  • Medical – Non-minor child support may also be ordered if a child has extraordinary medical needs or a medical condition that prevents the child from being financially self-supporting. If the dependent requires care and assistance, the divorced couple must continue to support the child. If the child was born with a physical or mental disability and is unable to care for themselves, then support must continue for the individual as if the parents had remained together. 

Reach Out to a Will County Divorce Lawyer 

If you are unsure of how child support will be handled during your divorce or you want to pursue non-minor child support, reach out to [[title]] to speak with a dedicated Naperville child support attorney. Call [[phone]] today and receive a free consultation. 



Read More