b2ap3_thumbnail_shutterstock_583437694.jpgWhen two parents get a divorce, a major focal point of their divorce proceedings is often the allocation of parental responsibilities and parenting time. These child custody agreements are designed with the best interest of the children in mind. When parents relocate to another city or move to a different state altogether, the relocation may impact your parenting plan. 

Three Steps Involved in Relocation When You Share Child Custody 

Each instance of relocation when child custody is involved will have its own set of complexities and specifications. The best way to ensure that you have a complete understanding of your situation is by hiring a family law attorney. 

Upon looking at the details of your parenting plan and hearing about your desire to move, a divorce attorney can inform you of how to proceed prior to moving. The county you currently reside in, as well as the distance from your current place of residence to where you plan to move, will also be taken into consideration. 

You may need to get court approval if you want to move your child more than 25 miles outside of Cook County, DuPage County, Will County, Kane County, Lake County, or McHenry County. 

If you currently live in an Illinois county other than those listed above, you may need court approval to move if the residence is more than 50 miles away or more than 25 miles away and in another state. 

Since these details are unique to your situation, hiring a lawyer who can devote his or her time to the specifics of your case is best.

Hire an Attorney To Help You With Relocation 

With the legal guidance of an attorney who understands Illinois law as it pertains to relocation and parenting plans, you can trust that you’ll make the right decision, both legally and for your child. So, before you move, contact a child custody attorney in Illinois to minimize the chances of accidentally relocating without telling the right people or seeking approval from the proper sources. 

Reach Out To a Palatine Family Law Attorney 

To better understand if you are in a position to relocate right now or if you must first speak with the Court and notify your former spouse, contact a Northwest Cook County child custody lawyer. By calling 847.873.6741 and speaking with The Law Office of Nicholas W. Richardson, P.C., you can schedule a free and confidential consultation with a family law attorney who will equip you with knowledge and improve your understanding of how relocation affects parenting plans.