Chicago birth injury attorneysAs a parent, your child’s cerebral palsy (CP) diagnosis can be cause for serious concern, both regarding their well-being and your ability to provide for the costs of their treatment and care. If the condition was caused by a birth injury related to medical negligence, you may be able to recover compensation from the parties at fault. However, given the immediacy of your child’s needs and the sheer magnitude of the expenses you are likely to face over time, it is understandable that you would look to other sources of financial assistance. One possible source of help for some parents is Social Security benefits.

Supplemental Security Income for Children With Cerebral Palsy

The U.S. Social Security Administration (SSA) offers disability benefits through a couple of different programs. The program that most often helps families of children with CP is Supplemental Security Income (SSI). For a child to be eligible for SSI, they must have a qualifying disability and limited financial resources.

Qualifying disabilities are typically determined based on the SSA’s Listing of Impairments, commonly known as the Blue Book. Cerebral palsy is noted as a qualifying neurological disability for children, but only under certain circumstances. In order for your child to qualify for benefits, their condition must affect at least two extremities to the extent that they have extreme difficulty standing up from a seated position, balancing while standing, or using their upper limbs. Reports from your child’s doctors and therapists can help you demonstrate your child’s eligibility.

To qualify financially for SSI, your household income must fall below a certain threshold. That threshold depends on a variety of factors, including:

  • Whether your household income is earned or unearned
  • Whether you are a single parent or part of a two-parent household
  • How many other children live in your household

For example, in 2021, a two-parent household with no other children may qualify for SSI benefits for their child if their earned monthly income is below $4,095.

As long as your child’s condition continues and your income remains limited, SSI benefits can continue until your child reaches the age of 18. At that point, continuation of their benefits may depend on their own income and earning abilities.

Contact an Illinois Birth Injury Attorney

At the Birth Injury Law Alliance, LLC, we are committed to helping families cope with the effects of Cerebral Palsy and other conditions resulting from birth injuries. We will work with you to determine what means of financial assistance are available, including Social Security benefits or compensation through a medical malpractice claim. For a free consultation, contact a Chicago birth injury lawyer today at 312-462-4200.



Read More