The Governor approved the first Public Act of the 102nd General Assembly last week in P.A. 102-001. This new law amends various provisions of the Election Code, including the following:
- The State Board of Elections is authorized to release federal funds under the Help America Vote Act to local election authorities maintain secure collection sites for mail-in ballots.
- Election authorities are authorized to establish curb-side voting during early voting and on election day.
- Election authorities are required to accept any vote by mail ballot, including those with insufficient or no postage.
- Election authorities that maintain collection sites for mail-in ballots must ensure the sites are secured by locks that can only be opened by election authority personnel.
- Election authority personnel must collect all ballots from collection sites at the close of business each day and note the day the ballot was returned.
The new law authorizes the State Board of Elections to establish guidelines for the security of these collection sites.